Role: Head of Commercial Contracts
Car Allowance: £450-460pm
Location: Remote (Perhaps once in the office a fortnight which is Nuneaton)
They are a hard-working team of commercial managers, supporting a growing logistics business. As a small team, the nature of what the team do is varied, ranging from simple contract renewals to involvement in highly complex bids and contract negotiations.
They support the end-to-end contracting process for customers and suppliers and as a relatively small team, there is always a lot to do. The pace of work is very fast so if you enjoy being challenged and working on a variety of different things at once, this is the place for you!
Working closely with the Commercial Director, you will be responsible for managing a small central team of commercial managers providing commercial and contractual support and guidance to the division and will be responsible for helping to ensure that the vision, goals and objectives of the commercial contracts team continue to be realised and developed.
In this role, you will be involved in the whole contract lifecycle, from pre-sales to contract expiry termination, supporting both the Business Development and Business Unit Teams. You will also work closely with the procurement team to ensure that customer and supplier contracting processes remain joined-up
As well as playing a hands-on role in the drafting, negotiation and commercial contract management of a range of contracts, and other commercial documentation, you will provide support and advice to the commercial contracts team to ensure that they can fulfil their roles as commercial leads for the different sectors of the business.
- Managing a small team of commercial managers:
- Working closely with the Commercial Director to ensure that the vision, goals and objectives of the commercial contracts team continue to be realised and developed
- Ensuring that the team has the management support & guidance that they need to ensure that contracts that we put in place meet the needs of the customer, whilst protecting the business from unnecessary risks.
- Helping the Commercial Managers to manage their day-to-day workload, acting as an additional resource to support and lead opportunities as required
- Providing advice and guidance to the Commercial Managers and acting as a sounding board to discuss and explore creatively the right commercial approach in different situations.
- Supporting the team with drafting of contracts / clauses as required
- Providing first level of escalation and support for issues ongoing in the individual sectors, working with the Commercial Director as appropriate to ensure that all commercial requirements are resourced according to their priority.
- Working with the Commercial Managers to develop relationships with and get an understanding of the commercial approach of customers within their sectors and helping come up with sector-appropriate commercial solutions
- Providing pragmatic and value-add commercial solutions and advice throughout the entire sales and delivery process and supporting the Commercial Mangers to ensure that they can do the same for their sectors.
- Wherever possible, simplifying the companies commercial approach, ensuring that customers find our client “easy to do business with”, whilst ensuring that risks are understood, quantified and either mitigated, or accepted consciously by the appropriate level of authority.
- Ensure the business is protected contractually, negotiating customer contracts and maintaining a detailed knowledge of all contractual arrangements across the business
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, with proven ability to possess proven track-record of delivering pragmatic commercial support, ideally within the Logistics Sector
- Possess excellent commercial and negotiation skills with proven ability to work in complex and highly competitive environments.
- Ability to work at speed and recognise when the 100% perfect solution is not appropriate, where risk can be managed at a lower standard.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different types of commercial and operational risk in the Logistics sector and the solutions required to manage these risks throughout the lifecycle of the contract.
- Thorough understanding of commercial processes and typical contractual terms with a good understanding of contract law.
- Appreciation of the factors which impact profitability of a contract.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to provide suggestions and solutions to complex commercial and contractual issues
- Demonstrate excellent team management experience and ability to quickly develop strong working relationships at all levels in an organisation
- Highly robust, able to operate in a pressured environment of personal accountability and used to a fast moving, dynamic and constantly evolving environment
- Demonstrate good interpersonal, organisational and communication skills with a clear ability to communicate at all levels in the organisation
- Proven ability to build strong relationships within a matrix organisation to ensure that the commercial team is seen as a trusted adviser.