Role Health Safety and Environment Manager
Report to Head of HSE
Salary £55,000 - £60,000 per annum + 15% Bonus
Are you a dynamic and engaging HSE professional, able to make safety fun and practical?
Do you want to be a HSE Lead for a brand new site and provide a HSE structure from scratch and shape behaviours across a growing company alongside the Head of HSE?
Then this is the job for you!
As the HSE Manager, you will be responsible for supporting and embedding the group Health Safety and Environmental strategy across a busy but small manufacturing site. This is a new build site where you will really be able to make a difference and engage the workforce.
- To provide strategic support across the site, be visible and hands on.
- Educate and train the workforce and develop and encourage the right safety behaviours.
- Seeking an individual who can help build and implement a solid structure for Health, Safety and Environment initially then guide the company towards safety being the front of everyone’s minds.
- Manage the implementation of the company’s health, Safety and Environmental management system at the new factory
- Ensure that HSE is embedded within the factory’s core values and that all health, safety and Environmental systems are in place for factory start up
- Identify potential risks and take action to eliminate this in conjunction with the relevant Managers.
- Collaborate with the different stakeholders within the factory including people with different mobility, vision, and hearing levels regarding HSE issues.
- Ensure a health and safety training plan is in place for all roles within the factory.
- Implement and manage an emergency preparedness plan including fire drills and arrange for the appointment of fire wardens and their deputies.
- Ensure that all emergency information is kept up to date and displayed clearly on all levels of the buildings including in meeting rooms and other areas of general use.
- Ensure health and safety induction training is provided for new employees, contractors and agency staff
- Maintain a compliance plan to ensure that the health and safety management system is monitored, and all legislative requirements are met.
- Ensure that Risk Assessments are carried out before any work is done which presents a risk of injury or ill health for any company employees, contractors, or visitors.
- Advise and guide all persons within the site on health, safety and environmental legal requirements and best practice.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement in all matters related to Health, Safety, and the Environment
- Carry out a programme of site audits and safety inspections to monitor arrangements and ensure compliance.
- Investigate all incidents, accidents and near misses to prevent re-occurrence.
- Foster a learning culture where health and safety is a key priority amongst all persons working on or for the site.
- To manage and provide advice on energy, carbon, waste, transport, environmental compliance and represent to individual managers and/or the board
- Implementing environmental policies and practices; devising strategies to meet targets and to encourage best practice
- Establish the carbon footprint for the site and actively work to reduce this
- Develop, drive and manage environmental and shared value awareness and training within the Kettering factory
- Implement energy saving technology wherever practicable
- Ensure Kettering factory is compliant with all environmental legislation and organisational policies
- Confirming that materials, ingredients and so on are ethically or environmentally sourced
- Acting as a champion for environmental issues within the site
- Keeping up to date with relevant changes in environmental legislation
- Working with Operations:
- Look to transfer freight from air and long-haul to ocean and rail freight increase load fill
- Reduce weight and volume of packaging – in and out of the business
- Look at ways to develop our delivery and returns services
- Cost-effective purchase of utility supplies to ensure the company operates within the defined energy rating
- Management experience within the manufacturing sector
- NEBOSH Certificate
- Proven to support and improve safety culture
- Able to influence, gain buy -in with strong communication skills
- Able to make safety fun, a dynamic person who is excited by the journey and challenges ahead
- Willing to roll up their sleeves and collaborate and troubleshoot.
- Down to earth
- Coach and mentor
- Self-motivated and engaging
- Hands on and practical approach
- Able to communicate with confidence
Alternatively, if you know of anyone who may be interested in this opportunity, please forward on our details.
Sophia Darwin 268